(Our Backyard garden & Gate)Who knew moving in to your own home would be such exhausting, time-consuming work? And why didn't you tell us??!! We are stuffed! We need a holiday!
Ok, enough of the whinging. We are really loving living in this place!! Slowly by slowly, it's beginning to feel a bit more like home, and a bit less like this overwhelming-project-we-must -complete-by-a-certain-date. All the must-be-done's seem a bit more conquerable now... now that we have a kitchen -- the Lord-knows-why-it-was-there-in-the-first-place carpet in the kitchen is gone, the new faux-wood floors look and feel perfect, the kitchen stuff is unpacked. :) And in the study it's the same story, and we finally have a computer with working internet. Ah yes, relaxing can happen once again. And blogging :) (As the photos show, it's still a work-in-progress, still a very lived-in sort of place. not the kind of photos I'd want going to any home and Garden magazines just yet, but I wanted you to get a feel for where we live.)
It's still hard to believe it's actually ours. And that we won't be moving again for... years? Weird. Not moving. Having sheds and multiple rooms for storage. Having a guest room for people to visit from far away. I'm starting to feel like a real grown-up!
My garden is gorgeous! In the midst of all these must-be-dones, I find botanical surprise gifts -- literally in our own back yard. We have joyful pink-orange lillies, bunches of blue hydrangias, and my childhood favourites -- orange-yellow gladiolas in the front yard. It is the most beautiful welcome. Soon, I must learn how to take care of them!
Our Jacaranda tree is amazing. It began to bloom the very moment we and October arrived. Now its purple blossoms fall in much the same way as the leaves of Minnesota Maples in this month - sporadically and constantly, covering our yard with blankets of colour. I love it! (But our yard does desperately need a good rake and a lawn-mower!)
We really will have a house-warming bbq party at some point, but I have no idea when. When I feel our home is ready I guess. When somethings are on the walls and we have some sort of dining room table and a bbq and the lawn gets mowed...that would be a start. :) We'll let you know.
I've got to get to school. This is starting to be a really good term. I'm really enjoying it. Dan seems to be enjoying his new job as well. More responsibility, more projects and challenges...but he has to wear a tie every day now. More about work stuff later...if I can think of more to say :)
I'd love to hear from friends and family anytime... we think of you often, even in our busy-ness.
Lots of love :)
(I'm having a bit of trouble posting more photos here, so I'll post them seperately...coming soon!)
3 comments:
We meant to send you an email warning you how much work it was to own a house, but we got busy cleaning our garage and forgot...
At any rate, your yard is charming, as are your Aussie-isms. Does 'stuffed' mean 'exhausted and overworked' there, as opposed to 'shouldn't have had those last two or three slices of pizza' here? And I'm guessing 'whinging' is a typo. But still...
Yes, Josh - you're right about "stuffed." It means exhausted. beat. Knackered :)
It's weird - that word used to really surprise me; it seemed to take the longest time to get used to. Now I sometimes forget that being stuffed in Australia is a very different thing to being stuffed in the good old U S of A. Although if you tell someone to "get stuffed" it's completely different again... do ya'll say that over there? I don't think so...goodness I can't remember anymore. I've got to blame the earliness of Friday morning for that.
But no, "whinging" was definately not a typo. It's a great word! One of the first colloquilisms I learned, back when Aussie boyfriend and I were long distance and we did it all the time. Whinged, that is. It's just a really good strong word for whining. (Whinge - it rhymes with hinge - in case anyone would like to try it out :)
Hey Licia, love the pics of your new house! Hope everything is going well for you guys! :)
Post a Comment