This is one of those truth-is-stranger-than-fiction times in life for me. It's a time we've become eternally indebted to family and friends who've been supporting us through.
I only write about this now because I have a lot of hope that we are very nearly to the part where we can look back and laugh at how the month of July '07 had some kind of major drama nearly every day!
Friday - the one day I tried to stay away from the hospital cause I felt like absolute crap, I had to be admitted to the ER for chest pains and dizziness! I was a mess. They did all kinds of nasty tests on me to rule out the worst possible stuff... turns out I have some kind of rare heart condition that seems to run in my dad's family. The medication they gave me for my blood pressure after the birth is a beta blocker- those don't mix well with this kind of heart condition (which no one, including me, knew I had until Saturday morning when the cardiologist looked at my ECG). They're going to do some more tests in the coming weeks to figure out exactly which condition it is, and how bad it is. the good news is, it's not dangerous at the moment, as long as they keep weening me off these meds and I get off them soon. My dosage is way down now and I'm feeling heaps better. Worst case scenaro, I may have to get a pacemaker put in one day (like my Dad and heaps of others in his extended family). but not today.
Saturday wasn't too bad, cause at least I got to be in the same hospital as Sophie, so whenever I wasn't talking to doctors or eating a meal in my bed in the emergency ward, I was off and feeding Sophie and hanging out in Special Care.
That was my weekend.
Now things are feeling a lot better. Sophia is feeding like a champion, and has re-gained her birthweight. no more forgetting to breathe and turning purple. Yeay! She is still small, but looking and behaving much more like a full-term baby.
Tomorrow Dan & I go in to hospital together, and we get to stay overnight for 2 nights... in a nice room connected to the SCN. It's called Parent Craft, and as a teacher, I can't help thinking of it like performance-based assessment - for us and for baby. We get to see how we go on our own with her, and still have access to the nurses & drs for any questions or reassurance. They still check up on her a bit, just to make sure she's all fine, and then if all goes well, we get to take her home after that!
If you're a praying person, Say lots of prayers for us!! pray that none of us will get sick and have any setbacks at this point - we're so close to home now. There are some really disasterous viruses going around our hospital at the moment, and we really need to not catch them. Pray also for strength and good sleep for all three of us.
So we won't be very contactable the next couple of days...but after we get home and settled in a bit, we'd love to hear from you anytime! Thanks for thinking of us.
:)
6 comments:
Yeah Smith Family! Oh, it's really fun when you start to be a family of three. You aren't just a couple anymore. The word Family becomes much more fitting. Here it comes! I'm so excited, whether it happens in two days or a few more than that!
Alicia you are so right - when it rains... what is that about anyway?? I am so happy that you and Dan can bring that beautiful little girl home soon :) you have a lovely family there!
That's great about Sophie eating and doing well. I hope everything goes well the next couple days, hope you get home safe and sound! You know what's cute? When Noah looks at that pic of you holding Sophie he says "Mom". I'm not sure if he thinks you look like me or if he recognizes you as the baby's mom, maybe both...but it's cute. Anyway, love you lots. Give her a kiss from me and one from her big cousin.
Loren
Thanks everyone! Last night went well. It's awesome to not have to leave her at night. Weird to figure out how to be parents of a newborn in the middle of the night. Trying to figure out every little cry and strange new sound. It's crazy...but I wouldn't have it any other way! It is really fun to be a family. Can't wait to get home all together!
Lisher,
my heart goes out to you--I wish I could have been a Mama-doula/ER doula for you on your scary day. When you find out, the nurse in me would be interested in more info about your heart condition and what happened. Crazy.
Wish I could hold your baby . . . and hug you and hear your voice. love you lots.
Angel
Auntie Alicia,
Galilee and Skye saw Sophie's pictures and want to send you a messsage:
Skye says: "She's pretty and cute."
Galilee says: "She's beautiful and I love her."
Love, Galilee and Skye
Post a Comment