13 January, 2006

Catching up

Having this time off has been one crucial step in my quest to catch up to the rest of the world. It seems I've been left behind in a few areas of cultural awareness. So this week I finally saw the movie Philidelphia for the first time. Maybe when it first came out I was too entrenched in a conservative youth group to even consider seeing it. Maybe in the following years, the Northwestern College bubble I loved so much at the time considered it a dubious piece of brain-washing for gay rights. Then again, maybe not. Maybe I just never got around to seeing it. I'm glad I finally did. Another chunk of shared consciousness that I finally get to share. And some of the finest acting...but of course, you already know that.

That same day, I finished reading The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay. I don't know how many Americans have read that book, but I don't think you're allowed to become an Australian citizen until you've read something by their possibly most popular author ever. And since I will be eligable to consider citizenship as of May 27 this year, and since I've always loved the movie, I figured this would be a good place to start on his works. I think it wins my humble prize for book that's most different from its movie. They're both very good, but...well, if you're interested you can read it. It's very much a boy's coming of age story. And the day I finished it (the same day I watched Philidelphia)...there were many tears that day.

Just for Josh Fuller and his obsession with written perfection, I'm trying in these newest posts to obliterate mistakes. Aren't you pleased Josh, I'm capitalizing! :)

It wasn't all sad this week though. I got to go on a date in the city with my husband. We met for his lunch break and went to an Irish pub. They had Fantastic River Dance style music and the best Mexican nachos I've ever eaten!

Oh, I also read this chick-lit book in about 2 days - it barely deserves a mention. Only because it was one of those books I enjoyed like a big bag of cheetos and a can of coke. It's almost sinfully fun when I start devouring and only afterwards I remember why I hardly ever do that. So now I feel the need to read some good healthy historical novels about interesting women. I'm almost done reading this one -- Tomorrow to be Brave. She's a British woman who joins the French Foreign Legion and is right in the midst of the front lines in World War 2. Fascinating stuff.

Hmm... I can't really think of anything interesting to say. These are the simple and slow things I do when I have 2 weeks off and I don't get to be with Minnesotan family and friends. And I read cookbooks and watch geckos crawl on the walls and drink iced chocolates in my favourite coffee shops. Oh, and now that Brittany has introduced me to it, I play Weboggle :) Watch out Thurbers and other word game players; when I come back I will have well-honed word game skills. I may even have a chance to hold my head high when playing against my siblings. That might take a few months...

But no more sitting around reading or playing on the computer or hanging out at the shops today. Today I'm going to hang out with a friend and a beautiful baby :) Those are always good days.

No comments: