Ok, I realise I haven't had anything to say for awhile now. It's been a very lazy, relaxing 2 weeks since I've been home. Pretty much lots of long-distance phone bills and reading and catching up on projects and hanging out around the city. Not a whole lot to say really. But I had to have something to say about this.
This morning it is Friday the 13th. I sleepily drove my husband to work, stopped to get some very expensive fuel on the way home, and was driving down my street when I heard the most surprising announcement coming out of my radio. The Brisbane media do mention things that are going on in the US from time to time -- they love to talk about Brad and Angelina, and they spent months following up on the tormented Australian tourists caught in the New Orleans ordeal. The last time they mentioned Minnesota was the Red Lake shootings, and I was very sad.
Today, they have a story about my beloved Minnesota. And why are they talking about this relatively small and very far away place? Is it, by any chance, a positive story this time? Of course not! It's another our-governor-can-beat-up-your-governor story. Only this one is possibly even scarier than Ventura. Today there is a man who calls himself "Sharkey," who is declaring his intent to run for governor of Minnesota. He also calls himself a Vampire and a Satanist who doesn't hate Jesus Christ. This is the information I heard from the lovely Australian lady in my car radio this morning. I think my mouth actually dropped open.
Now when I meet new people, I really don't have to explain where Minnesota is. I'll just tell them where I'm from, and they'll just say "oh!! That place where they have those crazy wrestler governors!" I reckon most Aussies think that's hilarious. Still, next time I meet a stranger, maybe I should just tell them I'm Canadian. :)
1 comment:
Hey Alicia!
Dont panic - most Aussies our age will remember Minnesota from Beverly Hills 90210 - that is where the twins were from :-)
Post a Comment